10 most scary places in Kiev or where to celebrate Beltain
Perhaps, all have heard of Walpurgis night . when, according to legend, witches gather on a Grand Sabbath. But with a fantastic celebration called Beltain familiar to few. In fact,…

Continue reading →

The Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
Signifying an important part of the "Quarter Grands boulevards", Osman (FR. Le boulevard Haussmann) is the longest on the right Bank of the Seine. His start this wide and rapid…

Continue reading →

The Gothic quarter of Barcelona

Barcelona’s Gothic quarter is situated around the Cathedral . this is the heart of the old town of Barcelona, called Barri Gòtic . hence was born the city. Therefore, starting the examination of the Cathedral, You will be easy to move from one part of town to another, walking through the narrow streets. The quarter stretches from La Rambla to Via Laietana , and from the waterfront to Ponda de Sant Pere .

As I walked from the waterfront after watching Aquarium Via via Laietana, a few blocks to the left You’ll see Gothic buildings, they will not pass. The Gothic quarter has undergone changes that occurred in the 19th and 20th centuries, some of the buildings were recovered and restored to attract tourists. The final transformation of the old town was completed in 1929 for the International exhibition, neo-Gothic work continued until 1970. The main works undertaken in the 19th and 20th centuries were connected with the restoration of Catalan architecture, such as the facade of the Cathedral was built in 1882 to 1913, with many elements of the Gothic style.

See a map of the Gothic quarter

The Cathedral started to be built in 1298 during the reign of James II of Aragon and completed in 1454. This is one of the masterpieces of Spanish Gothic. Despite its modest size, the Church is very rich architectural elements.

The Gothic quarter in Barcelona arose after Roman settlements.Previously it was surrounded by a wall Dating back to the III century, the remains of which can still be seen today, these walls are thirty feet in three and a half in width and 1270 meters in length.

Behind the Royal Palace were discovered by archaeologists remains of Roman houses can be seen today. Examination of the Gothic quarter traditionally starts with a visit to the Cathedral in the square Nova, is the main market square, Gothic Barcelona, to go through the gate Bisbe, in the first century through this gate one could get in the city. Near the gate is the Palace of the Bishops of Barcelona and the house of archdeacon Lewis Disply (Casa de l Ardiaca).

The rear wall of the house is part of the ancient Roman walls. The building is probably of the second century and stands on Roman foundations, was repeatedly subjected to various reconstructions, therefore, included many elements of Gothic and Renaissance. At the house of deacon placed modernist Inbox in the form of a turtle. Three swallows on the house symbol of the independence of the judiciary, and the turtle – tape bureaucratic system and attached to the house in the late nineteenth century.

Street of the Gothic quarter, Carrer del Bisbe connects the plaça Nova to the Plaza de San Jaume . Since ancient times this square is the center of political life of the city, it is possible to see the remains of the temple of Augustus, built approximately in the first century BC In the square against each other today are the main administrative buildings of the city of Barcelona and Catalunya —the Catalan government and the town Hall.

The Government Palace is connected with the House of Canons, a small neo-Gothic bridge that passes over the Carrer del Bisbe. At the end of this quiet street for 2 thousand years are Corinthian columns that once belonged to a temple of Augustus.

A little closer to the street via Laetana (Via Laietana) is a real ensemble of medieval architecture called the Plaza del Rey (Plaça del Rei).

Here is located the Grand Palace , which for almost two centuries XIII to XV was the residence of the counts of Barcelona, inside the throne room is huge in size designed in the Gothic style.

Also the architectural complex of the Royal Palace is the watchtower of king martí 1555 and the chapel of St. Agatha of the fourteenth century.

This Palace, built in the early 16th century in the Renaissance style, with its patio. Currently, it houses the Instituto Municipal de Historia . where You can see photographs and drawings from the archive and all the periodicals of Barcelona from the 18th century to the present day.

At Plaza del Rei is the so-called Governor’s Palace or (the Palau del Lloctinent). This Renaissance building was restored in the nineteenth century, Segodnyashnyaya the Archive of the Royal dynasty of Aragon. In this amazing complex on the square Casa Clariana-Padellas (Casa Clariana-Padellàs)includes the Museum of history of Barcelona.

The Frederic Mares Museum in Barcelona opened in 1946. It is located in one of the buildings that is part of the architectural complex of the Grand Royal Palace.

The Museum Frederic Mares is named after the collector has preserved works of art, mainly the collection of sculptures. The most valuable part presents samples of medieval sculptures from different parts of the country, most of Catalonia. The ground floor houses the sculpture of the classical period of Greece, Iberia, Carthage. On the second floor not only sculptures but also paintings mostly on religious themes, they depict the Madonna and Child or the Holy Family. The most interesting section can be considered as a collection of everyday items. The collection is called the sentimental Museum, with a collection of a large mass of various household items, including children’s.

Hidden the Plaza de San Felip Neri is the land of the former Medieval cemetery. The Church of the same name, built between 1748 and 1752. Traces of recent history are also visible in this Square, where you see bullets and shrapnel from the Civil War in Spain.

Hercules street will bring You to the plaça Sant Just

Legend has it that it is the oldest square in Barcelona, and until the 15th century it was a Parish Church of the Catholic Monarchs.

The Church of Sant Just dates back to the 13th century and belonged to Louis de Requesens, the friend of King Philip II, and later Governor-General of Flanders.