The mosque Juma-Jami mosque in Eupatoria
Juma-Jami, aka Khan-Jami - Friday Cathedral mosque in Eupatoria. It is located near the Park. Garayev; towering over the surrounding buildings and is visible from the sea and from the…

Continue reading →

Khan Uzbek mosque and madrasah ruins in the Old Crimea
Khan Uzbek, became an adherent of Islam, ordered to build in Solkhat beautiful mosque and the highest Muslim religious school - madrassas. Khan Uzbek mosque is the earliest in Crimea.…

Continue reading →

Khan Uzbek mosque and madrasah ruins in the Old Crimea

Khan Uzbek, became an adherent of Islam, ordered to build in Solkhat beautiful mosque and the highest Muslim religious school – madrassas. Khan Uzbek mosque is the earliest in Crimea. Now the mosque is a rectangular building of Basilica type with an entrance on the North side and built into the North-Eastern corner of the minaret.
Khan Uzbek who came to the throne of the Golden Horde in 1312, became an adherent of Islam, ordered to build in Solkhat beautiful mosque and the highest Muslim religious school – madrassas. The construction of the mosque was started in 1314 According to Turkish traveller Evliya çelebi, in 1512-1513, when Mengli Giray I, the mosque was the Cathedral.

From the original building remained part of the North wall with the portal and, probably, the columns with arches in the interior. Rectangular in plan, stretched from North to South. Eastern and Western walls are built of rubble stone with wooden ties, the portal and the North-East corner with a massive base of the minaret was made of treated stone. The entrance to the mosque from the Northern side is decorated with carved portal with Dating the inscription in the niche. The inner space of the monument is divided into three naves by two rows of parallel thin cut columns with stalactite capitals. The floors were flat wood, the roof is gabled, covered with tiles. In the South wall is carved mihrab. Khan Uzbek mosque is the earliest in Crimea.

To the mosque on the South side was built on a rectangular plan, approaching the square of the madrasah (XIV century), now in ruins. The madrassah was from the South through a pointed portal, decorated with carvings. In the large outdoor courtyard, covered with plates in the center of which was a fountain, from the North, South and West facing three deep niches, they connected the arcade, behind which is a vaulted room for living and practice. In the North-East corner of the madrasah included a small area with a crypt. Madrasah of rubble stone in lime mortar with leveling the rows of bricks.

Now Khan Uzbek mosque is a rectangular building of Basilica type with an entrance on the North side and built into the North-Eastern corner of the minaret. The longitudinal axis of the building oriented in the direction North-South, so that in the building devout, praying, their faces turned southward, towards Mecca.