Tomsk catacombs
Tomsk underground: reality rooted in the myths? Engaged in the study of problems of Tomsk dungeons, I was amazed at the abundance of witnesses. They said that during excavation works…

Continue reading →

Armenian Church of St. Nicholas
The Armenian Church is a beautiful religious building which is a monument of architecture built in 1885 by the Armenian community of the city. The Church Of St. Nikoghayos of…

Continue reading →

Kachi-Kalyon

Kachi Kalion rock is situated on the spurs of the Inner ridge of the Crimean mountains, eight kilometres to the South of Bakhchisaray. Popular version of interpretation Kachi-Kalion – “cross ship” – with a known share of imagination on the cliff you can see the miraculous likeness of the Grand cross, formed by rock fractures.
Kachi Kalion rock is situated on the spurs of the Inner ridge of the Crimean mountains, eight kilometres to the South of Bakhchisaray. Reliable data on the origin of the name Kachi-Kalion yet. Popular version of interpretation as “cross ship” – with a known share of imagination on the cliff you can see the miraculous likeness of the Grand cross, formed by rock fractures. Like other Byzantine fortifications, the citadel has arisen in VI century the fortress Area of about 1.5 ha. In areas of gentle sloping can see the remains of a defensive wall made of hewn blocks and gate protected with a rectangular tower. Rock cuttings settlement are located in five natural grottoes and around them, there are about 150 different rooms, connected by terraces and staircases, wooden structures which, of course, did not survive.

According to scientists, the most active construction of temples, houses, terraces and rooms for household purposes falls on the VII-IX centuries In a number of floor were traces of crushed grapes, which suggests the whole wine-producing complex. In some grottoes one can see the remains of churches. On the walls some well-preserved traces of Greek inscriptions and images of crosses, a bench for the clergy (Cintron), traces of graves, tombs. On one of the collapsed debris of the rock hewn large shallow niche with a relief of the “blossoming” cross the vine – presumably the apse of a small chapel.

In the citadel is healing (relieves women from the burden) source of St. Anastasia is seeping through a crack in the rock, the water accumulated in the round font. On source visible niches in which were set icons and carved cross a little below the source of the chasm is growing at a huge ancient bowl, on the branches which the pilgrims still leave shreds of their garments, believing, as in ancient times, in the miraculous power of Holy water and wood.

The main Shrine of the ancient settlement – the cave Church of St. Sophia, built in the VIII-IX centuries the Church existed till 1778, to the outcome of the Crimean Greeks, and then in XIX century was restored. In a huge block of stone is carved the room is oval shaped, length – 5,3 m, width – 2,4 m, height – 2,15 m. The apse of the temple the shape of a horseshoe, she was separated from the nave (the place where prayers) low altar. In the floor of the apse – a recess for the throne. In the southern and Northern walls are carved niches for icons. Inside the Church are the remains of ancient graves. No doubt, the monastery was founded in Byzantine period, most likely by iconodules in VIII-IX centuries. In the nineteenth century the Church was restored by a local landowner G. Hickem and consecrated in the name of St. Anastasia. Near the Church, in the neighbouring rocky fragment, carved tomb, on the wall symbolizing eternity the cross in the circle. Around the tomb there is an ancient cemetery with covered gable with carved stone tombstones.