Armenian Church of St. Nicholas
The Armenian Church is a beautiful religious building which is a monument of architecture built in 1885 by the Armenian community of the city. The Church Of St. Nikoghayos of the Church is of Basilica type, with a semicircular apse on the East wall.
The Chersonese was inhabited by the Tatars and the Turks. But in addition to them in the city lived also Greeks, Armenians, Karaites, Jews, Gypsies. Every community occupied its own quarter or district whose center was the temple – Church, Church or synagogue. The Armenian Church is the current International street, 44, on-site nursing Home, a five minute walk from the monastery of dervishes. It is here that once housed the Armenian quarter. Because it was outside the city walls it was considered a suburb of Gezlev. The Turkish traveller Evliya çelebi, who visited the city in the mid-seventeenth century, testified: “there Is […] one quarter ghiaurov Armenians, who have there a great temple.”
Armenian Church in Yevpatoria
About whether the current Armenian Church was mentioned by E. Celebi? No, not about her. The one that has survived to the present day founded considerably later, in 1817.
The traveler must have seen some other Church, but stone, too, for the epithet “beautiful” in those days, could only apply to a stone building. Where were the temple, which left the Turkish pilgrim? The exact answer to these questions is no. We only know that in 1736, after Gezlev was taken by Russian troops under the command of field Marshal B. Minich, the Tatar population in a panic left town. Before leaving, the Tatars set fire to shops and churches. Suffered from among others the Armenian Church. Aide-de-camp of Munnich captain G. Manstein recalled that his party “found the city gate open, and the suburbs burned to ashes”. The suburbs and the Armenian quarter.
Russian troops responded with equal violence. Were looted and burned Tatar houses, mosques and dervish monasteries (in the city then there were three). When five days later the Russian army left the town, the Tatars returned to their native lands, but instead all they saw was ashes. Began the massacre of the Christians. Apparently, that’s when the stone Church of Saint Nicholas was turned into a Muslim mosque. The Armenians had to build another house of worship on the other. They decided to build it out of wood. Pretty soon regained the Armenian Church was consecrated.
In “Reference book of the city of Yevpatoriya and its County” published in 1888, the history of the Armenian Church is described thus: “Outside the fortress was the Armenian quarter and St. Nicholas Church, burned by the Tatars, was then built of wood, is plentiful in 1817, was laid a stone with three gates”.
Mentioned stone Church “with three gates”, founded in 1817, is one that has survived to the present day. It does have three entrances – the Western, Northern and southern. Above them there was a small portico with cross vaults, and West was higher than the others and served as a belfry. The Church was built quite a long time of constant lack of money. Finally, after two decades, the Church was solemnly consecrated. By the way, it is similar to the Feodosia Church where baptized, married, and was UPET the great seascape painter Ivan Aivazovsky, Armenian by origin. It has been a number of years, the Crimean war began. Evpatoria came under the control of the Anglo-Franco-Turkish troops. In the Armenian Church began to hold up the French garrison. Some soldiers thought it necessary to perpetuate the stay in these walls, nazarabev bayonets their names on the facade of the temple… after the war, the Armenians Evpatoria plastered his Church. All traces that remind of the presence of the enemy, were wiped out.
It took a century and a half. Already in the plaster on the walls began to slowly crumble.
And after heavy rain revealed the old French “autographs”.
Clearly visible date is 1855, and a few names: Charles, Richard, Phillipe… These inscriptions can be seen today (right from the West entrance to the Church).
The guides sometimes call Armenian churches to the Orthodox. This is not quite correct. The fact that the Armenian Apostolic Church was founded in 301, before the schism of the East and West, Orthodoxy and Catholicism. The Church is called Armenian-Gregorian – in the name of its founder Bishop Gregory. So what about the Evpatoria temple street International, 44 it is more correct to say that it is the Armenian Gregorian Church.
Under Soviet power the Church was confiscated from the faithful and could not be used for worship. In the plans of the city authorities include the restoration of the Church followed, apparently, by its transfer to the Armenian community. After a few years a monument of architecture of the early XIX century to celebrate the 200th anniversary of its Foundation.