The ancient Egyptians had many underground structures. It is easy to assume that they were illuminated by torches, or candles. Only in one building were found traces of soot, which certainly would cover the walls and ceiling. The assumption was that the lighting was provided with metal mirrors to reflect sunlight. However, the majority of underground corridors too winding. Too much you need to put the mirrors in the reflection of each subsequent mirror much brightness is lost. After the fourth reflection comes almost complete darkness.
In the burial chamber of Tutankhamun, the scientists were amazed at the wonderful frescoes that adorned its walls. Naturally, the question arose: what kind of lighting were used by the ancient wizards, putting murals on the walls? No smoke and mirrors camera could not be covered. Continue reading
“History, carved in stone,” it’s a common expression is fully applicable to the Metropolitan Museum-reserve “Kolomenskoye”. The snow-white Church of the ascension built in the XVI century the Grand Duke Vasily III. Luxurious Royal gates built in the reign of Alexei Mikhailovich. On a nearby hill stands the Church of St. John the Baptist, built in honor of his accession to the throne of Ivan the terrible. But in Kolomenskoye is another special attraction. And not man-made and natural. This is the famous Voice of the ravine, which the number of stacked legends about him significantly ahead of all other local relics.
The origin of the name “Voters ravine” experts explain in different ways. The romance associated with his “voices of nature”. Indeed, in the summer there are always singing birds, chirping crickets and roaring water in the Creek.
However, more convincing seems to be another version of the mythological. Historians believe that originally, the ravine was called “hair” by the name of Volos, or Veles, the pagan God – the ruler of the underworld and the patron of domestic animals. Continue reading
Barcelona’s Gothic quarter is situated around the Cathedral . this is the heart of the old town of Barcelona, called Barri Gòtic . hence was born the city. Therefore, starting the examination of the Cathedral, You will be easy to move from one part of town to another, walking through the narrow streets. The quarter stretches from La Rambla to Via Laietana , and from the waterfront to Ponda de Sant Pere .
As I walked from the waterfront after watching Aquarium Via via Laietana, a few blocks to the left You’ll see Gothic buildings, they will not pass. The Gothic quarter has undergone changes that occurred in the 19th and 20th centuries, some of the buildings were recovered and restored to attract tourists. The final transformation of the old town was completed in 1929 for the International exhibition, neo-Gothic work continued until 1970. The main works undertaken in the 19th and 20th centuries were connected with the restoration of Catalan architecture, such as the facade of the Cathedral was built in 1882 to 1913, with many elements of the Gothic style. Continue reading