How many Orthodox Christians come to France – and only a few know how many shrines still, despite the tumult of revolutions and the forgotten Christian heritage of the past, contains a French land. Because it, like our Holy Rus, Lord, “by nature gracious and unemotional”, still loves and wishes to all living and visiting there “to be saved, and in the knowledge of the truth Preeti”.
Holy Legend tells us that after the beheading of the precious head of St. John the Baptist the wicked Herodias was not allowed to betray her funeral together with the body of the Saint, but having outraged upon her, buried in his Palace in the “disgraceful place”. The body was taken secretly and buried by the disciples of Saint. Wife of officer of king Herod we knew where Herodias had buried the venerable head. And she decided to rebury her on mount of olives in one of Herod’s estates. Continue reading
“History, carved in stone,” it’s a common expression is fully applicable to the Metropolitan Museum-reserve “Kolomenskoye”. The snow-white Church of the ascension built in the XVI century the Grand Duke Vasily III. Luxurious Royal gates built in the reign of Alexei Mikhailovich. On a nearby hill stands the Church of St. John the Baptist, built in honor of his accession to the throne of Ivan the terrible. But in Kolomenskoye is another special attraction. And not man-made and natural. This is the famous Voice of the ravine, which the number of stacked legends about him significantly ahead of all other local relics.
The origin of the name “Voters ravine” experts explain in different ways. The romance associated with his “voices of nature”. Indeed, in the summer there are always singing birds, chirping crickets and roaring water in the Creek.
However, more convincing seems to be another version of the mythological. Historians believe that originally, the ravine was called “hair” by the name of Volos, or Veles, the pagan God – the ruler of the underworld and the patron of domestic animals. Continue reading
Khan Uzbek, became an adherent of Islam, ordered to build in Solkhat beautiful mosque and the highest Muslim religious school – madrassas. Khan Uzbek mosque is the earliest in Crimea. Now the mosque is a rectangular building of Basilica type with an entrance on the North side and built into the North-Eastern corner of the minaret.
Khan Uzbek who came to the throne of the Golden Horde in 1312, became an adherent of Islam, ordered to build in Solkhat beautiful mosque and the highest Muslim religious school – madrassas. The construction of the mosque was started in 1314 According to Turkish traveller Evliya çelebi, in 1512-1513, when Mengli Giray I, the mosque was the Cathedral.
From the original building remained part of the North wall with the portal and, probably, the columns with arches in the interior. Rectangular in plan, stretched from North to South. Eastern and Western walls are built of rubble stone with wooden ties, the portal and the North-East corner with a massive base of the minaret was made of treated stone. Continue reading